If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best carpet cleaner in our guide is then we recommend the Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 as our top pick.
Spills, stains, mud, grease, pets, children and even parties. Carpets take a beating. In your house or even at work carpets have to deal with being underfoot 24/7. Cleaning carpets can be a nightmare so we have put together this comprehensive best carpet cleaner guide to help you clear up the mess, literally.
The Best Carpet Cleaning Solution for every situation
Sometimes the best carpet cleaning solution can be as simple as a good old fashioned scrubbing brush and a homemade carpet cleaning solution such as baking soda and vinegar.
However some stains are resistant to these methods and others are simply to big like covering a whole room. Also a word of warning. While we are fans of some homemade solutions for cleaning carpets not all carpets are suited to these products.
Using something you haven’t tested could result in further staining, bleaching or damage to the carpet so be warned and be mindful of testing things on small out of the way areas. A great way to do this if you must is to spot test a tiny area that will otherwise be under a piece or furniture so if it does stain then it will be hidden.
Best carpet cleaner on the market
So with that warning in mind we will be looking at the best carpet cleaning solutions on the market. This will include both the cleaning products and detergents as well as the carpet shampooer machines and other options.
Here are the best carpet cleaners/shampooers we will check out:
Best home carpet cleaner
We will be concentrating on general purpose home carpet cleaners in this guide. We do also have specialist guides on commercial carpet cleaners for non domestic situations and the most tricky of all our best carpet cleaner for pets guide you can check out here.
You may also be asking why would you buy a carpet shampooer. You can rent them in a lot of places like local stores etc. This is true but if you hire them even a couple of times this can start to add up fast. Also it is often the case that the rental machines are not kept in the best condition and you can run into issues around this.
If you have pets or kids you may find you need one several times a year at which point it makes more sense to just buy one.
A top tip here is to maybe split the cost between a few family members, that way you cut down on spending and since you are unlikely to use it everyday it should work out just fine.
Best Carpet Shampooer – The Options
With all of the issues mentioned above in mind we have chosen out top recommendations to deal with lighter and more heavy duty carpet cleaning. Check them out.
Straight away you will probably notice this looks more like a commercial machine. It even has the word “Professional” in it’s name and there is a good reason for that.
We would class this as a light commercial cleaner. What does that actually mean? It means if you need a serious carpet cleaner for your home or one that is up to the task of cleaning a small workplace this is the model for you.
Overall this it the model for you if you need to regularly clean a larger area or have to deal with heavy duty dirt and staining.
- Extra Large Powerbrush allowing deep cleaning
- Faster drying time due to the powerful suction
- Dual large water tanks so you can get more done
- Unprecedented 5 year warranty (yes 5)
- A nifty upholstery or tough stain tool with a 9 foot hose for great reach
- 25 foot power cord
- As a more commercial grade machine it is of course more expensive then lower end domestic models
- Heavy at 52 lbs so not as easy to move around as smaller cleaners
- Drips a little when left on the carper once it has been switch off so move it off the surface once complete
The Hoover Power Scrub has a nifty feature which is a SpinScrub roller brush. This brush system really does do a great job of cleaning pretty much every type of carpet giving a complete deep clean.
Its fully adjustable for heavy duty and lighter cleaning and won’t damage your carpet fibres. The heated cleaning feature is very effective at stain removal by smothering your carpet in heat which also means it drys faster afterwards.
It even has a built in rinse feature allowing you to remove detergent from the carpet so you don’t need to worry about leaving residue behind.
- Really well designed Spinscrub roller brush feature
- Surprisingly lightweight for an upright vac at just 18 lbs
- 20 foot power cord
- Great tools and attachments including a great upholstery tool
- Heated cleaning
- 2 Separate tanks so the clean and dirty water remain apart
- Water tank is a little small
- Rubber seal can be easily lost leaving you open to leaks
- Some reports of some mechanical parts breaking down overtime
This is the first of the domestic Bissell models in our guide. It is what we would describe as a well priced standard carpet shampooer.
What does that mean? It means you are not going to see any advanced or extra tools or features with this one but it will get the job done for typical jobs around the house.
It comes with a shorter warranty then other models also. Overall it’s a good started cleaner for small homes. If you don’t need the extra tools it offers good value for money.
- 20 foot power cord
- Only weighs 16 lbs
- Good value for money
- Drips a little from the brush housing when turned off
- No additional tools or extras
- Not as high tech in terms of the powerbrush versus Bissell’s higher end models
If you have ever hired a carpet shampooer the you have probably heard of the rug doctor carpet cleaner. A little like the Bissell Big Green Professional it sits at the higher end in both price and being a semi commercial unit.
If you need something this heavy duty choose this one over the Bissell model since it is substantially cheaper but still delivers a lot of power and a great deep clean. It has a Super Boost Spray feature which allows you to deliver more water and detergent to a tricky spot if you have heavy duty mud or dirt.
- Super long power cord at 28 feet
- Good tools and attachments including upholstery tool
- Great power and features for hardcore dirt
- Serious suction for removing water and quicker drying
- Easily removable tank for emptying
- The tool caddy it a great feature along with the collapsable handle for easy storage
- Water tank is a little small for such a large cleaner
- Shorter attachment hose then its closest rivals
This new offering from Bissell is in every way completely different from all of the other carpet cleaners in our guide.
It is small, has no wheels and doesn’t look anything like its competitors and with good reason. The Bissell Little Green Proheat is a portable carpet and upholstery cleaner. This makes it ideal for anyone who needs to clean small areas or carpet or upholstery and doesn’t need the might of something like the Rug Doctor.
This is a fairly new concept in this range and works really well for quick spills like food or mess kids leave behind. Due to its size you can store it easily and at just 11 lbs you can quickly move it around as needed.
- Small and easy to store
- Nice tool range including: Tough Stain Tool, crevice tool and flexi hose
- Heated cleaning for tough stains
- Not suitable for cleaning large areas of carpet
- Reasonably expensive since you cannot clean entire carpets with it
Lastly to offer yet another slightly different option here we have the Crosswave from Bissell. It is a carpet cleaner but doubles as a wet/dry vac. Check out our best shop vac guide for more wet/dry vac options.
For most domestic uses this is a great combo. It’s better for quicker jobs then say shampooing an entire house so keep that in mind.
- Washes and Vacuums at the same time- a great time saver
- Suitable for hard floors and carpets alike
- Dual tanks to keep clean and dirty water separated
- Nice control options built into the handle
- Easy to clean
- Not really ideal for cleaning large areas of carpet
- Quite expensive for cleaning smaller areas (however it does also vacuum)
So Which Is The Best Carpet Shampooer For Your Home?
So overall if you need a carpet cleaning shampooer for your home we recommend the Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150 as our top pick.
If however you need a more substantial cleaner for a bigger area or heavy duty cleaning on a regular basis then the Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner delivers excellent value for money at the light commercial level.