Top tip here: A machine is not always the best carpet cleaner for pets so do not rush straight into using a carpet cleaning machine if you have one. Read on for more on this….
We love animals and can all agree that having pets around is great. They are great additions to any household but just like other members of the family sometimes they leave behind a bit of a mess. One of the most problematic areas is flooring, especially carpets. With that in mind this guide will help you to find the best carpet cleaner for pets around your home.
What is the best carpet cleaner solution for pets mess?
Not every mess is created equal. If your pet (most likely a dog in this case) simply brings mud or other dirt into the house your needs will be quite different from someone trying to use some pet urine remover to deal with nasty accidents and smells.
There are generally three types of pet mess you will need to deal with:
- Pet hair – As a pet owner you will know this stuff gets everywhere, all the time
- General mess – Regular day to day dirt such as mud, dust, grass stains and other debris
- Pet urine – Generally the worst offender, this can be a one off or frequent issue and if not treated correctly can lead to the need to have flooring replaced which is costly and irritating
Usually general mess is not something you need a bunch of tips for so if you are simply looking for a powerful carpet cleaner to deal with mud and dirt then check out our carpet cleaner guide here. However if you have tried regular dog urine remove and it has gotten you nowhere then read on.
A word of warning if you already have a regular household carpet cleaning machine we highly recommend you do not simply attack the urine soaked carpet with it without proper preparation. This can often make pet urine smells and stains worse and lead to bigger problems.
So the best dog urine remover solution is to carefully prep the area using the right products and then use the carpet cleaner to finish the job. We will go through all of these steps so don’t worry you will know what to do.
Best carpet cleaner for dog urine
As a dog owner (especially puppies) you will likely experience dog urine on your carpets. Top of the list here is to be vigilant when you can. What does that mean? Well if you can immediately attend to the carpet you will have the best results.
As soon as you find a wet patch the most important thing is to quickly soak up as much of the liquid as you can. This is before you add any carpet cleaning powder or other product. Quite simply soak up the liquid. Don’t rub or scrub on or around the area as this can spread it further and indeed deeper into the carpet.
This is of course not always possible as the accident may occur during the night or while you are not home but eitherway speed is your friend in this situation.
The next step is to use the best pet urine remover you can find to pre-treat the carpet before using your carpet cleaning machine.
Best carpet cleaner for pets
All chemical cleaning products can be dangerous. Please be aware of the environment they are being used in and ensure no children or pets come into direct contact with the products themselves.
You may have visited your local store and grabbed a bottle of whatever the latest dog urine remover is. Thats great but it may not be as effective as it claims so we stick to these tried and tested products.
Here are the best dog urine remover products we recommend.
Another tip here, buy a few bottle so you are always ready as like we mentioned speed is the most important element to a successful carpet clean otherwise you would be dealing with dried in or old pet urine which is a nightmare.
Best carpet cleaner for old pet urine – Bubbas Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner
- BEST PROFESSIONAL GRADE CLEANING SOLUTION: Scientifically formulated to be more potent than other pet odor enzyme cleaners for your flooring, upholstery, area rugs and carpets, yet safe to use around kids and pets. Permanently destroys pet enzyme odors and stains
- PET STAIN AND ODOR MIRACLE: Bubba's uses natural dormant enzymes that become active upon hitting that strong smelling cat pee, billions of enzymes destroy stains down to the carpet pad. Competitors use active enzymes that die off and lose effect
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Other pet odor enzyme sprays use active enzymes that are ineffective soon after you buy them. Bubba's dormant enzyme formula is the best premium deep cleaning stain and pet urine enzyme carpet cleaner or YOUR MONEY BACK
- CARPET & RUG INSTITUTE CERTIFIED: Our Pet Pee Cleaner and Enzymatic Odor Remover is a Top Rated pet stain & odor miracle. Don't be disappointed by other brands pet cleaner sprays. Try Bubbas pet enzyme treatment cleaner instead
- MANY USES: Our enzyme based stain remover and cleaning solution can be used in all areas of your house, auto, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room and more. Use to remove shoe odor, clean auto carpeting stains, use as clothes pretreat for removal of tough set in grass stains. litter box cleaner, or on furniture to remove odors
You may have heard of the term “enzyme carpet cleaner”. This is the type of cleaner that commercial cleaning companies would use since they are the most effective.
Even though we already said that cleaning instantly is best if you are faced with dried in or soaked through carpet then this is the best carpet cleaner for old pet urine too. It comes in a handy gallon size so this pushes the price above some rivals but it is best to be prepared so we think the size is ideal.
It really does sit above the others in its effectiveness so if you need a pet urine cleaning product this is it.
Nature’s Miracle Advanced Pet Trigger Spray
- Guaranteed to permanently eliminate all stains and odors-even urine odors other products fail to remove
If you need something a little less hardcore or indeed just need a quick spot treatment for a light sprinkle then this may be a good option for you. It can also be used for other tough stains or odours like grass, grease and other dirt.
One reason you may grab this one is the handy spray size which can also be used to treat bed bedding, furniture and so on. It’s manufacturers even advise it is safe to use with birds and other small animals.
Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
- ELIMINATES STAINS, ODORS AND RESIDUE If it’s gross, it’s gone. Not just the stain, but the stink. From stinky yellow pet urine and feces to vomit and other organic spills, our professional strength formula tackles them all.
- CERTIFIED GENTLE AND SAFE Chlorine free and color safe. Safe to use around pets and children. No hazardous propellants, no residue left behind. So gentle it’s been Certified Safe for all carpets, earning the Seal of Approval by the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI)
- EVERY SURFACE, EVERY TIME For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet living and sleeping areas -- anywhere stains happen.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED An Amazon best seller for a reason. If your stains and odors aren’t gone, neither is your money. We’ll refund it in full
Our last product getting a worthy mention is this one from Rocco & Roxie. Like the Nature Miracle spray it has a handy spray bottle and is highly effective when it comes to pet odors and old pet urine removal.
It has consistently been a best selling product so that helps it speak for itself. The Bio-enzyme formula proves very effective for stains as well as smells so another good option.
So what is the most effective and Best carpet cleaner for pets?
As you can see effectively and correctly cleaning pet urine is a tricky business. If you rush in with the wrong appliance or product you can make it worse so remember the following:
- Quickly (when possible) soak up as much of the liquid as possible, don’t rub or scrub the area.
- Next use a suitable product like the ones above to pre treat the area and neutralize odors.
- Finally use your carpet cleaner to deep clean the carpet for that overall freshness.
If you are considering purchasing a carpet cleaner and need some guidance check out our guide here.